Friday, March 31, 2006

Moth and Rust Consume

I got a chance to work on our garage today. I opened up a plastic tub where I thought I had safely stored some Coca-Cola memorabilia. Somehow, water had gotten in and much of it is ruined. I immediately thought of Jesus' words in Matthew 6.19-21.

9“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; 20but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (NRSV)
Truth be told, I had been planning to unburden myself of much of the Coke stuff, and other stuff in the garage that was stored in cardboard boxes, somehow or another, but had been putting it off. When I saw the water damage, I felt as if God had said, "here ... let me help you with that."

Update 8:12 am: The Coke stuff was damaged when the Coke in some commemorative cans ate through the cans. The cardboard boxes were water draining off the car when I drove home during the storm last night.