Saturday, August 12, 2006

Pride in the Name of the Lord our God

Reading from the book of Psalms for my personal devotions, I was struck by this passage from Psalm 20.7-8. It helps to understand that chariots were the tanks of the ancient Middle East and horses were only for war (remember that Jesus rode mounted into Jerusalem, but not on a horse). Here's the passage:

“Some take pride in chariots, and some in horses, but our pride is in the name of the LORD our God. They will collapse and fall, but we shall rise and stand upright.”
"The name of the LORD our God" is the only thing we can rightly take pride in. I wonder if this verse influenced the title of a song by the rock band U2: “Pride (in the name of Love),” with “Love” an alternative name for “the LORD our God.” It’s probably just me, but I see all sorts of Charles Wesley overtones.