Saturday, December 30, 2006

A Worthy New Years Resolution

The following “Covenant Prayer in the Wesleyan Tradition” is found as number 607 in The United Methodist Hymnal. (I’ve updated the language somewhat, for example, using your for thine, you for thou, will for wilt, etc.)

"I am no longer my own, but yours.
Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for you or laid aside for you,
exalted for you or brought low by you.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things
to you pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
You are mine, and I am yours. So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven. Amen."
This prayer had its beginnings in a 1755 Covenant Renewal Service. The early Methodist often held Covenant Renewal Services on New Year’s Eve. If you’re like me, casting around for a New Year’s resolution, this prayer might be a good place to start. It reminds us that we are not our own, we are God’s, all our time, abilities, and wealth ultimately belong to God. Being willing to go where God sends us, to do or to suffer what God asks of us; to be used or left fallow depending upon the needs of God’s kingdom; to be exalted or brought low for the common good; to willingly be full or empty; to have all things or to be content with nothing (except God); to freely and heartily give all that we have over to God;’ these are the marks of greatness in the Kingdom of God. And to be great in the Kingdom of God is a truly worthy New Year’s resolution.