Thursday, January 25, 2007

God doesn't need lies to establish credibility

Jenny and I got the chance to hear Tony Campolo speak at a Kansas Area pastor's conference earlier this month. I'm now reading his book, Letters to a Young Evangelical. He makes this important point about those who exaggerate healings to "aggrandize their ministries":

Don't get me wrong! I believe in healings. Miracles are not a thing of the past. They are happening today. But I have heard too many stories of supposed miracles that, upon investigation, are revealed as gross exaggerations of reality. God doesn't need lies to establish credibility. Where false claims about miracles are exposed, as they often are, cynicism about Christianity grows [emphasis mine].

This is my thought about a lot of the forwarded emails making the rounds.