Monday, June 04, 2007

Suit and a Tie or Jeans and a Tee

I got a lot of comments on the suit I wore yesterday, with questions about what this signified and whether or not it was a permanent change. I thought it might be a good idea to repost part of a Parish Visitor article that I wrote in November of 2005:

"We have a new poster beside the main entrance [now in the front entrance to the sanctuary]. Above a pair of sandals, it reads: 'It’s OK to dress casual for church, Jesus did.' And below, 'Being comfortable with Jesus Christ, starts with being comfortable. Join us this Sunday, whatever you’re wearing.' I was afraid that this might not be completely clear, so I composed a little ditty of my own: 'Suit and tie or jeans and a tee, God welcomes you and so do we.' That’s really what we’re aiming for: all kinds of people, dressed in all kinds of ways, coming to worship God. What we wear is not of ultimate importance. If being comfortable means dressing up for one person, and dressing down for another, so be it. The important thing is that the body of Christ gathers for worship."
I wear polo and khaki's most Sundays to try and make those who do not dress up, or do not have a suit and tie (or the female equivalent) feel comfortable (anecdotal evidence suggests that it's working). I sometimes wear a suit and tie to let those who choose to dress up know that I understand where they are coming from as well. Some dress casually because "the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart (NRSV)." Others suit up to honor God with their best. All are welcome and I want what I wear to reinforce that point.