Sunday, February 03, 2008

What I (John) am Giving Up For Lent

In case you were wondering, here's what I'm giving up for Lent:

  1. Velveeta and all processed cheese food products.
  2. Absorbing other people's anxiety.
It's that second one that's going to take some work. Now I know fasting should be done in private, but: 1) my negotiations with a certain party over what I should give up for lent have been pretty public, 2) I hoping to set an example of the varieties of things one can give up for lent and 3) Sometimes, in my effort to feel empathy and compassion for others, I take on more of their anxiety than is appropriate. When I do that I don't tend to be a calm leader or the most effective helper that I can be. So, for the next seven weeks I promise that I will focus on being a calm presence for you. I thought you ought to know.

If you want to see what April Foreman is giving up for lent visit www.bricktownblog.com.