Monday, September 22, 2008

Posted without Comment (Almost)

I was going to post this without comment, but I decided to comment. Biking into church for youth group yesterday evening, I saw the following on the First Christian Church signboard:

If your religion doesn't take you to church, it is doubtful if it will take you to heaven!
I'm not completely sure how I feel about this, but I think that I agree for the most part. I don't think our salvation is secured by "religion," but rather by faith, so I would make that substitution (I think whoever put the sign up is probably not making that distinction, but rather means for faith and religion to be understood interchangeably). That being said, real faith reveals itself in faithfulness. Worship was one of the "ordinances of God" that John Wesley wanted the people called Methodists to "attend to" in order that they might remain in love with God. If your faith doesn't lead you to worship God on a regular basis it may not remain with you for long.